Thursday 26 January 2012

The Hinge's Handle

The mysterious, and yet ultimately annoying, "Hinge's Handle".
There's clearly been some sort of mistake. I recently entered RPG Superstar 2012 - the industry's equivalent of the X Factor - yet somehow my magic item didn't make the final cut. Surely a clerical error? Either that, or the sheer originality of my submission simply blew their minds.

Sadly not. Now the lights have come up and I stand nervously before the judges. "This is a really annoying item", says one, whom I naturally assume to be Simon Cowell. "You're making too much work for the GM", snaps Paula Abdul. The crowd snickers. All that's left now is for me to make some hissy, retributive comment and flounce off-stage.

They're right, of course. It's great that Paizo runs this every year, and in all seriousness, it's a massive undertaking for the judges to reply individually to every item they receive. I just hope that GMs look beyond their own submissions, and view the competition for what it truly is: a creative gold mine. Just reading through the final 32 - and the rejects pile - has given me a stack of solid items to introduce into my campaigns (won't my players be pleased!). But beyond that, its given me ideas for villains, organisations, even whole adventures. There's a lot of talent out there.

So what did I submit? Well, I'll be the first to admit my item is a bit "gonzo" - and does put a lot of work onto the GM's shoulders - but hopefully it facilitates some creative thinking at the table. That's the hallmark of a good wondrous item. Unfortunately for me, it's also fairly abundant in those suggestions that beat me to the cut!

Still, I suppose there's always next year.


2 comments:

  1. Will, I could not find you on the WotC Community Site or an email address here, but I wanted to drop you a quick note & thank you for your Dragon article--very fun idea! I plan to use it in the 4E Tomb of Horrors campaign I am running & will let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, I'm really pleased that you liked the article and took the time out to come here and let me know. Reading that the skyhouse will be touching down in someone else's home campaign really makes my day. I'd love to hear how it goes! Also, make sure you check back here over the next few weeks: I've an idea for a skyhouse-based encounter that I may post soon!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.